I live with a host family in Tumbaco (about an hour outside of Quito) and commute to training in the nearby town of Collaqui six days a week. My host family - the Garcias - are really patient with my limited spanish skills and they feed me incredible food. The most unusual meal I´ve had so far was pig foot soup. It was difficult to get the meat off the foot, but the broth was amazing. I haven´t had cuy (guinea pig) yet, and I have my reservations about eating it since my goddaughter has one as a pet. There are amazing fruits here and there seems to be a plant to cure any type of illness.
The past three weeks have been a mix of technical training and language and culture training. I´m in the Natural Resources Conservation program, and we´ve been doing some cool stuff like tree nursery construction and management, community garden management, and parks management. Next week we go on our first of two tech trips - this one to Cotacachi in the sierras. Really looking forward to it, and I hope to have some good stories to share when we get back...
My Spanish is coming along. I can understand most of what I hear, but speaking it has been difficult. But I´m confident I´ll get there... poco a poco.
¨Chulla vida¨is the Ecuadorian equivalent of ¨seize the day¨/you only live once.¨I learned the phrase from my older host brother who has taught me most of what I know of Ecuadorian culture. It´s the posture I plan to have for my time in this country.
this is awesome, miss you brother.
ReplyDeleteHey Dan! How are you? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen ya since the end of JVC. I can't believe you're in Ecuador! How long are you there? I'm in grad school at the University of San Francisco and I will actually be in Ecuador form June 3 - June 23. We will be traveling all over the place. I'm going to be reading your blog to I can find out all about Ecuador before I head over there. Have an amazing time! Can't wait to keep reading!!
ReplyDeleteAnnie
This is awesome, miss you brother.
ReplyDeleteOh, and good thing you had plenty of practice drinking lukewarm beer on our road trip, one less thing to have to get used to...
Jonas